Tuesday, November 13, 2007

HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF BAD REVIEWING BY JEWISH MUSIC REVIEW BLOG

this is coming from the comment section by LifeofRubin blog.

I have no comment on the bad review/Lashon Hara line of demarcation. I think it's too vague a line and try to stay away from it at all costs.

I think that MJBS's comment regarding JMR's review is completely justified - the guy hasn't even heard the album yet!!! He makes it seem like he knows the CD so well that he can judge it, which is completely wrong in my opinion. If he doesn't like it after he's heard it in its entirety, great. Just don't write it off for others until you know what you're talking about.

After seeing MJBS, I decided to take a look at his reviews of Gabay and Gertner. They two debut CDs should give some idea how he treats the new guys. Besides seeing negativity, I realized that he generally has no idea what he's talking about! He seems to approach things from a musical/insider's perspective, when in reality he has neither one.


Cases in point: In his review of Gertner he was so proud that Yaron Gershovsky played on the track entitled 'Kodesh'. Guess what? He didn't! In his review of Gabay, he credits Shloimy Zeiger with bad mixing. Check the credits - it was mixed by Lishinsky and Gates. And one more thing - in his quite lengthy examination of Gabay's harmonies, he tries to prove that he knows so much about music theory by educating us about intervals, scale degrees, and harmony theory.

NOTE TO JMR - if the melody of a song is the fifth of a chord, a third above is the seventh, not the fourth.
He seems to be disappointed with all JM recordings. Is there anything that he's satisfied with? I agree with MJBS - he's got a big grudge against everyone in this business and he's letting everyone it. Poor guy.

1 comment:

YK said...

I agree with few of your points.

I also don't like JM Blog preliminary reviews, I think it's not fair to post based on 30 secs of each song.

But we have to remember that everyone has the right to speak their mind when it comes to something so personal like music. Each person has a different taste and likes something else, so if Aryeh doesnt likes 99% of whats out there, he has the right to speak out.

I was also very dissapointed about the sites with reviews about JM and I started my own blog last year. If you don't like aryeh's site, read a different one that you like. There's JBlogmeister, Life of Rubin, Blog in DM. You gotta like some of them.
Aryeh is not going to put down the site just because you are against it. But, again, I do agree with somethings you said.

rgdrs

YK